Beware of the offers from EXPO GUIDE, FAIR GUIDE, CONSTRUCT DATA VERLAG, EXPO GUIDE OF MEXICO, EUROPEAN CITY GUIDE, EURO BUSINESS GUIDE, EURO MEDIA ONDERZOEK, INTERNATIONAL FAIRS DIRECTORY and similar
An ambiguous way of doing business
During a show, or after it, by mail, an exhibitor receives a letter with the offer to update its data in a directory that recalls the name of the exhibition. The offer can come from Austria, Slovakia, Mexico, Uruguay or any other country.This directory is a database of exhibitions around the world; for each show, besides the essential data (venue, dates, etc.) there is also the list of exhibitors.
The inclusion in this exhibitors’ list (that in our opinion should not cost anything, as the company already participated in the show, and should only be subject to the company’s approval for the publication of its data) is not free.
By signing the order, the company commits itself to a three year subscription (plus another year in absence of notice of cancellation) costing some 1.000 Euro per year, by a contract not easy to terminate.
In practice the company has its data published on an online directory of world fairs and exhibitions, under the show in which they took part, at a cost of some 1.000 Euro per year, and this for 3 or even 4 years. In case of non-payment, the lawyers of the company become very insistent.
All the major organisers disclaim these practices, see:
Beware of the offers you receive and be careful when signing.
What to do?
· do not by any means complete or return the form back; simply throw it away.
· If such a form has been inadvertently signed and returned to the sender, which is tantamount to accepting the financial conditions described above, cancel the order by registered letter, and any case do not make the payment and ignore all reminder notes to collect the payments associated with the order and the invoice issued, sent by the sender or any debt collection companies working on its behalf.
· As of today there is no evidence that Construct Data Verlag or any other similar company has ever brought an action against any customer.
· Please report the fact that you have received the order form to the trade fair organiser whose name appears on it.
· This will make it easier for the relevant institutions to accumulate evidence to take possible legal steps.